Strategy and Commissioning Officer (Healthy Lifestyles)
Post date: 02-Dec-2014 15:15:38
£28,127 - £33,998 per annum, pro-rata
Job type: Permanent, part-time
Date: 21 November 2014
An exciting and very interesting new opportunity has presented itself within Southend Borough Council. They are recruiting for a Strategy and Commissioning Officer to work a very specific project for healthy lifestyles. This role will be part time at 18.5 hours per week on a two year fixed term contract.
The main purpose of the role is to assist in the development and implementation of effective strategies to meet the needs of ‘at risk’ populations within Southend and to encourage healthy lifestyles.
The role involves assessing the needs of the population and analysing the effectiveness of the current service, this includes promoting well-being, independence and choice through a holistic approach.
The post holder will partake in discussions and co-operate with others across the council to ensure objectives are met. These outcomes will be demonstrated through presenting reports alongside recommendations aiming to develop the service.
Excellent Communication skills are a requirement for this post as you will be working as part of a strategy and commissioning team. You will need to be confident to go out and meet service users, GPs, parenting classes, exercise and activity groups and other people. You will need to be able to challenge providers. The candidate will identify a need and buy into the service which will then be monitored by you to help the need.
Duties expected of you will include:
• Supporting the development and implementation of effective strategies
• Working with colleagues across all Council departments to ensure all relevant strategies developed are informed by meaningful engagement with additional support of client specific organisations
• To secure services that meet the needs of people at risk of or suffering ill health due to obesity, physical inactivity or poor diet within our community
• Ensuring that strategies and policies are informed by quantitative and qualitative data as well as performance data
• Project management and delivery
• Monitoring and ensuring the timely implementation of strategies
This role is significant and the successful applicant will have a real opportunity to positively impact the lifestyles of those at risk in the Southend area.
The successful applicant will have experience of working in the public sector, managing budgets and be able to demonstrate their success on previous projects. Being educated to degree level is desirable but not essential for this position, however knowledge of the current national policy environment and public health is required. This role may suit candidates from the profession of teaching, personal training, dieticians
Continuous professional development is encouraged in this role, so if you are driven, proactive, with the relevant skills and experience , please do not hesitate to apply.
This role requires a standard disclosure from the DBS.